View Single Post
Old 06-25-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Yes, his name was Brian, not Bud. He used to get asked dozens of questions a month it seemed, and he answered every one. Mike Sphect had access to some of the shipping records and did likewise when he could. It really was a community.

But yes, I remember when somebody would post a picture of an item that wasn't right... there were people ready to bluntly opine what was wrong. Sometimes a couple of knowledgeable collectors would get into a disagreement, and I'd learn so much just reading their back and forth about why something was or wasn't correct.

I believe the whole "photo matched" thing originated at GUU, or at least, that was where it really took hold. One time Tim Byington posted a Bob Allison bat he had - and it was a clear photo match to the bat Allison was holding on a major magazine cover (Sport or Sports Illustrated.)
Hard to say when and where "photomatching" originated as part of the overall hobby, but it was a thing among game worn hockey collectors for a while before GUU was created. I'd venture to say that game worn hockey collecting community has been ahead of the rest of the game worn collecting communities in a number of ways.