View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default no chance whatsoever

As there are VERY few surviving DUPLICATES of the Pirate baseball cards after accounting for the only known set (90+ cards sold for about 10,000. each) - and no proof has ever been offered with regard to them actually being distributed - it seems fairly easy to conclude not a single one ever made it's way into a pack. To begin with the window in which these cards (and most cards) were produced and distributed was small. Even if one was able to tie the tax stamp and cancel to the proper verified date of insertion - my guess is that the pack would likely be marked differently in some manner to differentiate it as the intent was supposedly our boys overseas.
For me it's all moot as the value is little if a pack shows ANY evidence that it might at any time have been opened regardless of the intent or if it's just possible based on the physical condition. If a pack is SEALED - the value is in the sizzle and not the steak. The mystery is what it's all about. If you open it the value is in whatever is or isn't in there. While one can't discount scarcity and condition, value is often dependent on the attributional characteristics like stamping, configuration, factory/district information. They define the relationship between product and manufacture - those that most accurately reflect that - the smallest leap of faith - tend to get the bigger bucks.

no guarantees whether written or implied.

However

If someone could show me visual and verifiable proof of a pirate baseball card being pulled from a pack

I'll buy and eat it

and the next net54 dinner is on me. Seriously.........