View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 11:21 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am a type collector at heart and always will be. I dabbled in a mid grade T205 set but lost interest and went back to more type cards
The 1936 Sport Stamps were carried in several newspapers. Here are some from my last collection. I no longer own them.

Thanks Leon, you saved me the trouble of digging out my LA Examiner copies to scan and post. However, I probably should still look for them to at least post an image of the Joe DiMaggio Sports Stamp I have that mentions him having played in the PCL. Also includes the youngest image I've ever seen of Joe D, he looks like he's a young teen.

This kind of relates to a different thread I recently saw on Net54 in one of the other forums about pricing and values of articles and stories out of the newspapers. Was surprised no one mentioned the Sports Stamps or Rinkydink Stamps sets in it. You would think these newspaper originated collectibles would have more interest and value. Like cards, they are still paper/cardboard based, were massed produced and distributed, but are much rarer in that their distribution was limited to one single day and newspaper is exceedingly more fragile and subject to the ravages of time and the elements more so than cards ever are. It is almost a miracle that any survived till today, unless glued into a scrapbook or otherwise compromised in some manner. Finding these newspaper cut-out collectibles in really nice, pristine condition is exceedingly rare. Definitely an undervalued and underappreciated pre-war collectible.

Last edited by BobC; 11-28-2023 at 10:42 PM.