View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 03:25 PM
Mike Lenart

I am a set builder also. There is no right or wrong way to build a set, whatever works for you. Battersbox and Greg Morris are both good sellers.

1. Are there particular strategies you follow in building your sets?

Agree with Elberson you want to look for some large lots. Otherwise, you will be spending a lot of money on postage costs. Don't be afraid to buy lots where you will get some cards you already have. Some might be an upgrade and the others you can trade/sell. I try to get stars as I go along so I avoid paying lots of money at the end. If you are looking at a set with Mantle, you know the price will probably go up so get it early.

2. Do you build multiple sets at once, or does that make it too difficult and you focus on one at a time?

I do one at a time. Right now I am 5 cards away from finishing my 1959 Topps set. I have picked out my next set to build, the 1965 Topps Transfers Insert set. While I will not start it, I will look for the Mantle.

3. Do you prefer all raw, all graded or a combo and why?

I get raw cards except for the major 1 or 2 top stars which I usually want graded.

4. Finally, what is the best way to store sets (in-progress or completed) so that you can also enjoy seeing the cards?

I am a binder guy. For my sets from 1965 to the present, I keep in team order based on favorite to least favorite teams. For 1964 back, the sets are in numerical order. I generally set up the binder with plastic sheets and put the cards in their correct spot as I go along.

Again do what works for you and you can always try a different approach in the next set.

Good luck!!

Mike

Last edited by mikemb; 02-06-2024 at 03:26 PM.