Thread: 3000 for Jeter
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Larry

Default My Favorite Jeter story

I was in Boston at the time of the 1999 All-Star game, and took an official ball over to the hotel where I knew the players would be packing and leaving after the game was over, I was one of several adults there to seek autographs of the stars. Joe Torre and Tony Gynn were most gracious signers (although Tony signed off to the side, rather than on the sweet spot, and then slyly glanced at me to see my reaction, which was simply one of gratitude, as it was purely a venture into a new collectible area for me). Another Minnesota Twin player whose name I cannot immediately recall also readily agreed to sign the ball, and seemed delighted to do so.

When I asked Jeter, however, his rather gruff reply went something like this: "Duh, I only sign for the kids!" And indeed he was signing only for several boys of about 12 or 13 years of age. Unfortunately, the adults seeking the autographs were the actual collectors, while the several boys for whom Jeter was signing were simply being fed baseballs by two dealers seated away from the action down by the street curb! When the "kids" balls had been signed, they returned them to the dealers and received some pictures of dead presidents for their efforts.

In short, Jeter's conduct was felt to be insulting to me on two bases: (1) his attitude was that an adult couldn't be a fan who wanted his autograph for its own sake, and therefore simply wanted it to flip it for money; and (2) even if his premise was true (and it was not), where would the harm be if he could take a second or two to enrich another person by a rather nominal amount through the mere fact of signing his name to a baseball? There's no exploitation of poor little Jeter going on in that scenario, as signing doesn't cost him a thing! Derek Jeter--not the sharpest knife in the drawer by a long shot.

And by the way, wouldn't you say that Jeter's "signature hit" is one of those fisted little turds he dumps off the handle of the bat and into right field? Would be more sanitary to have his bowel movements at home! Derek Jeter: more cheap hits than any five men, alive or dead!

Sorry if the above offends any of his fans, but Yankee guys have thick skins--they can handle the truth about their "hero."

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-16-2011 at 04:28 AM.