View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Default T201 Kling Cole Factory 30 Back

Barry,

Thanks you are too kind.

Sorry for responding to the thread so late, but have been traveling quite a bit. Cliff, here is a Kling Cole Factory 30 back. Factory 30 backs account for about 17% of the cards printed. I think Cliff brings out several interesting points. I think the set is not well understood and am glad to see some discussion.

In the original article, I had to cut out almost 75% of the material as the article was just too long. However, I have always thought that there were other short prints that weren't recognized and the set was printed over a number of years with a regional bias towards NY teams. Factory 649 was in Rochester (home of the Eastern Association Broncho's) and 4 of the 6 EA teams were represented in the T201. The NY area accounted for a significant & disproportionate percentage of the cigarette market in the 1910's. In addition, I believe Factory 30 was relocating - but am unsure - into what became the House of Mecca in or near Brooklyn. I got this information from The American Tobacco Companies own "biography" detailing their cigarettes, brands & production.

This would help explain some of the anomalies

I own about 300 T201's and reviewed many thousand more. I knew most of the stars were printed 4,5 & 6 times relative to certain other cards but could never firmly establish how many cards of each were printed relative to the other cards. T201's were notoriously miscut. I compared the miscut edges of cards and you can tell the relative location on a sheet of cards from one card over the other, etc.

I found a number of odd things about the miscut cards and what it implied about production quantity of each card. Need to run now, but will try to chime in later.

Cliff you are on the right track.

Z Wheat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kling Cole Back F30 Reduced.jpg (59.3 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Kling Cole Front F30 Reduced.jpg (76.6 KB, 1260 views)