View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 03:31 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I remember that auction. I do not have the prices realized, but am positive that the Oversized pennants sold for lots less back in 1998, while the more common ones sold for a bit more than they do now. This auction took place right before eBay took off...

I believe that eBay really changed the market for these things when they came into prominence. The Oversized teens pennants dried up completely, as you rarely see them on eBay anymore. Thus the severe price escalation. And the others from the 1950s-60s were proven to be more common than perhaps initially believed. Many/most of those prices have held stagnant, or have even dropped a bit in price.

I remember well when Lelands featured that Brooklyn Bum pennant (shown in the Mastro Catalogue). It was around that same time, and went for $750 plus the BP. Today, you’d do well to get $175 for it. Just some ramblings from a washed out “pennant guy”.
Thanks Mark. Your “ramblings” are always helpful.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown