View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Default value of the PSA half grade ?

Posted By: Brian T.

In my opinion, the half grades will only really come into play for more recent sets when the grades are among the highest in the set. My rationale is that people in the registry game may try to gain a few set strength points in hopes of eeking out the next higher ranking. That way they can claim "The Xth highest graded set on the registry" when selling it (or, I suppose, just for bragging rights).

That is what will push opposing whales to drive up the half points on the upper echelon grades. In general, I can't imagine a 5.5 bringing that much of a premium (unless again a 5 is notable or among the upper echelon on a particular type - T204 Ramly or 1914 CJ for example). In this example, though - for prewar stuff where such low grades can be stratospheric - that is primarily the domain of SGC, so it is kind of a moot point to me.

All in all, I view a PSA 8.5 < SGC 92 (8.5). PSA says as much in their grading scale as well - that the 1/2 point doesn't equal a half grade. As for me, give me SGC any day over PSA.