View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 07:03 AM

Default He added color to the hobby

Over my many years in this hobby, I have always tried to study those who have had great success. Part of it was selfish- I wanted to be successful too. But part of it was a genuine intrigue as to how many different people could take so many different paths, have different personality traits- and yet end up- at or near the top of the field. I have always tried to "cherry pick" what I thought were the positive attributes of each individual- and hopefully build those "parts" into my own business. Al Rosen was one of those guys I studied.
My take on Al is that he was a very smart- hi IQ colorful man with a big personality, who was an expert on how to size up people, situations, and of course baseball cards! He was the best I have ever known in this business at branding himself. To sooooo many people- he was Mr.Mint. He published books- and self promoted. He ran thousands of ads- and was willing to travel anywhere to buy the newest biggest best collections. He was the face of the baseball card business for a couple of decades- and I think should be remembered for his business savy, his tireless energy, and his uncanny ability to "get the deal done".
For many years my booth was next to his at the annual May Pittsburgh Show run by J. Paul. I could see the look on many people's faces as they approached his booth. They wanted to meet the closest thing to a "celebrity" the card industry had to offer. He would sign his book for these people- and thank them for stopping by- and in one of the best conversational transitions I've ever witnessed- "ask them if they had anything for sale". I don't know how many pictures he took with people- He was always holding the cards- and "those people" always holding the cash- and a signed copy of his book.
I was never in the "Al Rosen inner circle"- so I do not pretend to be his best friend or confidant. I just hope this hobby - at this time - can remember the positive attributes of Al- and the color he added to this hobby. I will miss him.
Rest in peace Alan.