View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjEj View Post
First, I'd like to say I'm new to this website, and impressed at the level of knowledge & expertise in this community!

I've just begun collecting B18s, and purchased the Chick Gandil that was on eBay about a week ago. I saw it had some discoloration & the edges were a little miscut, but I was happy to snag a Gandil for $29.00 since I have a limited budget.

However, the seller carelessly mailed the blanket loose in an envelope, with only a small piece of cardboard inside to "protect" it (I'm often shocked at how careless some ebay sellers are when packaging collectable items). En route, the blanket collapsed & "bunched" at the bottom of the envelope, resulting in many ugly wrinkles --- which have not come out after letting it sit for awhile. I even tried to carefully stretch & flatten the blanket with a couple small books. Didn't work much.

Does anyone have any advice? The seller has been snotty, but offered to refund my money if I send the blanket back at *my* cost. What would you do?

Also....My wife suggested I attempt to carefully "iron out" the wrinkles by covering the blanket with a white sheet & then ironing it on the lowest setting (so it wouldn't be hot enough to burn or anything). Has anyone ever attempted something like this?

Thanks in advance!

-Michael
Michael,

I've never used an iron on a B18, but I have had success ironing out wrinkles on 1940s pennants in my collection. Similar to what your wife suggested, I placed a slightly damp, clean tea towel on each side of the pennant and gently ironed the creased area at the lowest setting. I did it for only about 10 to 15 seconds at a time -- and very lightly! I'd suggest using white towels to avoid the risk of any color from the towel transferring to the blanket. It's unlikely this would happen, but better to be safe than sorry.

I think using something thicker (a thin towel as opposed to a sheet) ensures you'll protect the blanket from possible damage.

Again, this has worked for me on pennants. I can't guarantee the results on a B18.