View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default 2003 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards

Posted By: Tom Lawrie

Jay,

Hi. I agree, but still think that the checklist should be as complete as possible (and I'm guessing it would run to over 10,000 with all variations).

The way the pricing should work should be a general or standard price for a particular player (e.g. 1500 for Wilbert Robinson in EX, 250 for James Holliday in EX, etc.) Then there could be pricing exceptions for particularly difficult cards (e.g. next to the Holliday 1890 NL cards, the price could be 750, and for a pose such as "Hands crossed below waist on bat," which doesn't appear on any other more common issues, the price could be 1000 or whatever it is). For all of the pose variations, typeset differences, etc. that really don't make a difference in price, they should just be left blank - thus indicating that they likely sell for the standard price for that player. That way people don't overpay for Phenomenal Smith cards post-1887, as if the 1888-89 issues were as difficult as the 1887 script, or so that people don't pay as much for a St. Louis Browns card as they should for a St. Louis Whites player.

At least this way any mistakes in pricing will be legitimate ones, whereas the way the catalogues work now, the pricing information is available but is not correctly listed for lack of space.

Just my opinion,
Tom