View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
My understanding is that the postcards were issued to fans attending an October game in Boston....unlike the 10s of thousands of 1914 Cracker Jack cards that were purchased in candy boxes. So I guess the question is, how many fans attended and actually took the PC home? Yes, a box of them could be in some back room at the ballpark. If someone hears of that being discovered, please PM me. ��
If they were, it was a World series game--Boston ended its 1915 regular season on the road, with no home games in October. They only played two World Series games at home, drawing more than 40k at each. Although they could have been handed out or sold at those games, I agree with others they would have been available elsewhere and later also. Still, the 1919 Reds issue comes to mind, where the postcards were all issued with NL. Champs first and then World Champions after the Series. Since Boston won it all in 1915, one could argue the caption would or at least could have stated World's Champions if the issuer waited until around the third week in October before releasing them.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-22-2018 at 05:11 PM.