View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Wow, that's a nice layout of Mantle items there, Brian. I am not a Mantle collector, so I had not seen that picture before.
Thanks for the kind words, Eddie. Hope you are doing well, my friend.

My son and I work different shifts, so it's hard for us to get together. He helps me load up images on Net54, like the one you just commented on.

Anyway, you recall your terrific vintage racing thread? Well, I bought my first racing card, and would you believe, it's of one of the great drivers I commented on. It's a 1939 Churchman's Cigarettes of John Cobb, in PSA 7 condition. I watched for a long time, and deliberated whether I wanted to buy it. It really wasn't the price so much as I was setting a personal precedent in buying a racing card. With my interest in racing, it's strictly 1/43rd models, books, VHS tapes, and now DVDs. I did not need another expensive hobby!!! Ha!

Anyway, the poignant card of Mr. Cobb will go perfectly with my masterpiece 1/43rd scale model of one of Honest John's most famous cars---his 1935 Napier-Railton as he raced at Brooklands in 1935, when he broke the lap record at 143 mph. He is the gent I said who likened racing at Brooklands to standing at an open window of a very tall building----and seeing how far one could lean out without falling off!!!! So, I envision pairing my fairly rare factory-built model with the John Cobb cigarette card. The photo on the card appears to have been from the years he raced at glorious Brooklands. Your thread influenced me, and I thank you, friend.

My best to you Eddie---ALWAYS. Take care, my fellow collecting warrior. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-07-2018 at 11:29 AM.