View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Brad

Default Seeking advice from autograph and vintage baseball experts

Two associates of mine at work asked for my advice on starting a project. They want to get Hall of Fame player autographs on official baseballs from the era in which they played. I do not have an extensive auto collection and I don’t know much about blank baseballs from the 1950s-80s, so I’m not much help to them. The balls I have signed are on the more modern Selig/Budig/Coleman baseballs.

Their questions are:
1) Would their collection carry more weight and be “cooler” if they had guys sign vintage balls from their playing era, or when they had their biggest years? For example, would it be better to have Hank Aaron on a Warren Giles ball? I told them that while it would be neat, I can’t answer how much better it would be overall. Other players they’re talking about include Ernie Banks, Bob Gibson, Willie Mays, Nolan Ryan, Lou Brock, Tom Seaver, etc.

2) The second issue (and this will be harder for them than actually getting the signatures) is where to get the balls? Are there any reputable dealers who would sell a dozen or so balls of Giles, Feeney, Cronin and/or MacPhail - and what would the cost be on some of these?

Thanks for any input you can provide,
Brad