View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM

I would not put any faith in that photo with the dark hat and socks being from the Polo Grounds. I bet anything that was a stock photo used for a 1901 article for a game at the Polo Grounds (if even that specific) and that info was just reprinted in the book as it appeared in the newspaper. It is a neat picture but without anything concrete to pinpoint it to the Polo grounds, it is almost certainly an away photo used to report on a home game (stock photo of Matty). Reporters just did not take many pictures of Baseball players back in the day and one or two pictures would be all they had on file so they would use the same photo over and over again for whatever purpose they needed.

I bet you get the same price on it for resale whether its 1900 or 1901 or 1902 or 1903 because they all predate his 1903 Breisch Williams Baseball card so c. 1901 would cover your bases and I doubt there is any way to get more specific than that given the primitive nature of late 19th century/early 20th century Baseball photography.

Its a beautiful photo!

Rhys