View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Cory

So with this new information I hope two things will happen:

1.) The sports collectible auction "industry" will consolidate to the most trust worthy, best auction houses with great customer service. I am sure many of have our favorites as well as ones we are not fond of. We have already seen great expansion of the auction houses over the past ~10 years, and already started to see some contraction. If that contraction continues it will be good for the hobby (I'm not saying it boils down to 2 or 3 houses, but there a ton today) as sellers and bidders will have confidence in the process.

2.) More dealers and collectors will "sell" their cards and not just list in auction houses. I can remember 10+ years ago, when one would go to a large card show, there were so many great cards available for sale. Now it is challenging to purchase very good and great cards at a show. You can likely view them in an upcoming auction, but can not buy them. Often when I go to the National, I'll move on to a table and ask about a card (since virtually no cards are priced) and then find out it isn't for sale.

I know this news that comes out has meaningful negative implications. I'm simply looking for what, if any good may arise as I hope our industry cleans up and moves on.

Cory Weiser