Thread: Colgan's rarity
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
The Tin Top set is far and away the more interesting set, once one gets past the novelty of the red borders being different.

The problem with the Red Border set is that it is simply a reprint of the regular E254 set but with lower quality images and often with poor centering. The exception being two Louisvile players that have not yet been found in the regular E254 set and a few small stylistic changes (like we see on the Cobb, Hughes,etc) that have their names on their chests instead of floating in the air by their heads. These exceptions also sell much better and for higher amounts than their regular Red Border counterparts.

The Tin Top set consists of almost 50% new players that were not in the E254 set along with a lot of team changes and in all honesty the player selection is superior (Jackson, Thorpe, Johnson, And many other HoFers not featured in the earlier sets).

I have always paid more and had an easier time selling the Tin Tops than the Red Borders.
These are great points and really illustrates that desirability is subjective. For me, I'm primarily a type collector so the depth of a set might not necessarily effect me. It sounds like the Tin Tops would be much more interesting for set collectors or certain player collectors that are included in this issue, but excluded from the others.

Great info Rhett, I wasn't aware of the drastic differences in these sets. I just have a few players on my want list and haven't researched beyond that.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/