View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default I'm glad I'm a vintage collector-Interesting article about hobby

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Talking about new cards???? Ahhh, as it relates to the hobby in general.

When we were younger kids, we'd have cards, and if we did find a guide or a list, we could see which ones they were. Each year a new set. Now, there are a zillion subsets... you go nuts trying to figure out what a card is!

I mainly collect pre WW II cards. T cards, E cards, and Ws when affordable. But I will confess to working on a set of the 2004 Topps blue mini Cracker Jack cards.

I like the St. Louis Cardinals, and on occasion I buy a few cards of their current players, if affordably priced on eBay. Sometimes I have no idea what I've bought. And that is ok with me, because I'm not attempting to fill a set of them. But it is confusing.

I'd like to see Topps make ONE set each year, of about a thousand cards, 10 series of 10, no factory sets... with about 5% fewer boxes of series 2 than series 1, 5% fewer of series 3 than series 4, and so on. Later series issued as the season progresses, final series issued showing world series and playoff results. Can't buy all of the series first of the season. Nothing autographed, cut up, chromed, bought back, or Willie Wonka'd. I figure I'm in the minority on that. I am content to live in a qualified democracy... don't even mind doing what the majority wants... just as long as the majority understands that they aren't always right. Sometimes more people are wrong about some things.