View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
either he gave the stuff to her or he didnt. if he did, to ask for it back or for her not to sell it is not right. once it belongs to someone else, they are free to do with it what they wish.
I understand this rationale, but think the logic or legality of that statement is off the table when it relates to family or people we're close with.

Example, my dad gave me a ball he had signed by Mickey Mantle and his Joplin team that he got while they were playing his hometown Enid, OK team. Technically, I'm free to do what I want, to sell it, right? Yes, I am. However, my dad is a sentimental guy and envisions that ball being passed down in our family. It would hurt him deeply if I sold it. I, being a human being, who likes to think I have some empathy and understanding that not everyone lives by the same code of logic, would never sell this ball.

Rich or not, famous or not, what is happening with Kobe and his mother is sad.. as is just about anytime you need to bring legalities into a conversation relating to family.