View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Jon Canfield

Default What We Have Learned About Ty Cobbs With a Ty Cobb Back

It seems about every year about this time, I start a thread about the infamous Ty Cobb backed cards.

What is known about this card's distribution is simple - we know nothing... everything is speculative. Was the card actually distributed in product (ie, the Ty Cobb tin bearing the same factory/district number)? Was it a point of sale give-a-way? Is it part of the T206 set?

Last year, I pointed out that the Cobb back in the REA auction had a wet sheet transfer on the front, seeming to indicate at least 2 sheets of these were printed... This year, the REA Cobb back seems to give us a few more clues...

While looking through the catalog, I noticed right away the back has clear evidence of tobacco staining - identical to what would be seen on a Polar Bear card. Does this mean we can conclusively say that Cobb backed cards were packaged in product instead of a point of sale give-a-way... no. Maybe an early collector had "sloppy fingers" when handling cards after putting a wad into his lip. However, the clear presence of tobacco on the back of the card seems to indicate to me that we may begin to lend credence to the idea that Cobb backed cards were actually packaged with the tobacco.

Thoughts?

Last edited by canjond; 04-11-2010 at 08:27 PM.