View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Garth Guibord

The Baseball Hall of Fame voting, in exactly the same manner as post-season awards, is basically a scam. In both cases, most of the voters are sports writers (and in the case of Baines and Smith, I know it is different, but it is reflecting the overall process), and these writers spill more ink writing stories on predicting who will win awards or make the hall than actual news coverage of the sport. If it weren't for "Mid Season Awards" and "New Retiree's Chances of the HOF" stories, media outlets could slash their sports staffs by more than half. When the people who get to determine the outcome are also the ones declaring how important the outcomes are, it's a huge red flag to me that those outcomes are mostly meaningless.
That said, I also never enjoy the bashing of players who make it or are up for election, but that's always how it goes. I'd rather have more guys get in so we can keep celebrating the history of the game, different players and different eras and so forth. Celebrate, not denigrate.