Thread: Movie Stills
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Thanks for the information. In asking the question I learned I don't even know what differentiaties a still from a file copy from a lobby card. So much to learn. Babe soaring through the air is a sight to behold!
The very basics since I'm far from an expert.

Lobby card - usually printed and on cardstock, a good deal larger than 8x10 (Too lazy to measure mine or look it up, plus it may have varied over the years or by studio etc) They were ads that were meant to be shown in the lobby of the theatre. Just like the posters of upcoming movies just smaller.

Publicity still. - Usually 8x10 and black and white until.....1990s? Not sure, but black and white way past when you'd maybe expect color. Sent out in sets in press packs that included some stills, a description, usually a list of stars, and also usually clip art advertisements. The ones shown that have the title and a bunch of information at the bottom as part of the photo are newer, ones with less info are usually older. With exceptions, I have had some TV ones from the 80's that are very plain but have an attached news release on the back. All stuff intended to be passed along to the press either directly or by the theater owner so the papers could run ads or maybe illustrate an article.

File stills - Stuff taken during production, either to make the promotional stills from, or perhaps to help with continuity, I think the Marilyn Monroe one shown is that sort. So they'd have a record of stuff like which side of a table a vase was on during yesterdays filming. Sort of embarrassing if you've put together multiple clips to make a scene and stuff is moving around on its own.
These also probably don't have readily understandable info written on them, if there's any at all.

There are also fan stills, simply photos taken from a film for sale to fans or some other purpose. (And maybe licensed maybe not. Image quality will usually be really good on licensed stuff, and the whole range on unlicensed.)

Personally I'd find the ones used in production more interesting, but that's just me.

Steve B