View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Mike Dugan

The first true Yankee Media Guide was issued in 1955. That is multi-page, stapled guide.

Prior to that the Yankees issued tri or quad fold Roster Guides. The earliest I have ever seen is 1932 but I have no idea if the run was continuous or when it started.

The absolute "king of Media Guides" was the late Joe Cronin. Joe designated what he considered each teams first guide and also listed their earlier Roster Guides when he found one.

At times over the past 30 years I disagreed with Joe as to what constituted a guide vs. a roster. The Cubs and several other teams had multi-page stapled guides back to the mid-30s but because they only contained a roster and no bio's Joe did not call them guides.

I guess each of us can designate what we consider a guide, for me it contains multiple pages and is stapled (of course new guides are perfect-bound.)

I collect all 30 MLB teams and the NFL, at this time I am working on the insane task of obtaining media guide from what I consider the top 68 college football schools from the 1960s and 70s. That is when I followed them growing up!