View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default *** the OFFICIAL REA "partner-request" thread ***

Posted By: Matt

Looking for more partners to split REA lot 341, the lot of 219 Sporting Life M116s.
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=11794

Please email me if interested. I'm ideally looking for a few more people willing to each take a decent chunk.
Crazy me - I only want the Falkenberg, but am ready to chase the whole lot to get it.

"Offered is a very substantial collection of 219 different M116 Sporting Life cards, highlighted by twenty-three Hall of Famers, including Walter Johnson, Tris Speaker, and Cy Young. This group represents 75% of the complete set (which includes 287 different players, and counting all variations is complete at 314 cards). The M116 card set was issued by Sporting Life ("The Paper That Made Baseball Popular"), and by any measure is one of the most important sets of the era. Sporting Life was no doubt encouraged by the success of the popular tobacco cards of the day, and this issue shares a similar design with the tobacco cards of the era. Sporting Life was a major competitor of The Sporting News in the early part of the twentieth century. The Sporting Life set was issued in 24 series of 12 cards each, sold by mail for four cents per series. M116s are one of the most significant and substantial issues of the era, and are considerably scarcer than their tobacco-card counterparts. This set was assembled by a very dedicated collector, with great concern for overall eye-appeal, over a period of many years. We have selected twenty-eight cards to be graded and encapsulated by SGC and one was already graded by PSA. Keys (all pastel): Baker (Gd-Vg), Bender (EX+ 70), M. Brown (VG/EX 50), Chance (SGC Authentic, slight trim), Clarke (EX 60), E. Collins (EX 60), Duffy (trimmed), Evers (POOR 10), Flick (slight trim), Griffith (EX+ 70), Hooper (EX+ 70), Huggins (VG/EX 50), Jennings (irregular cut, o/w Gd-Vg), Johnson (VG 40), Joss (VG/EX 50), Mack (EX 60), McGraw (FAIR 20), Plank (EX+ 70), Speaker (EX 60), Waddell (VG 40), Wallace (GOOD 30), Walsh (EX 60), and Young (VG 40). Non-Hall of Famers include: Cicotte ("Black Sox," VG/EX 50), Erwin (PSA NM-MT 8), Killifer (EX/NM 80), Kling (GOOD 30), Meloan (EX/NM 80), Merkle (FAIR 20), Ray (EX 60), Reisling (NM 84), Sullivan (VG/EX 50), and Works (EX/NM 80). The balance of the cards grade: 55% range in grade from Vg-Ex to Ex (includes some Ex-Mt or better), 30% Vg and slightly lesser, and 15% which appear Vg-Ex or Ex but which we believe have a very slight trim. This is a particularly attractive collection, maintaining a high degree of consistency throughout, and with a much stronger appearance than that suggested by the very respectable and technically accurate condition composite. This great-looking group, which includes twenty-three Hall of Famers, represents the foundation for a tremendous set of this important issue. The equivalent SMR value for just the graded cards offered here (not including the one SGC Auth and the 186 ungraded cards) is $6,664. Total 219 cards."

My Trade/Sale Page