View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Another sad example of why it is crucial to buy the card, not the plastic.

I've seen almost a half dozen of these cracked slab fakes, with seemingly legit PSA labels. I don't know enough about PSA to ID an authentic or fake label, but I know the Mantle card in and out (both types). And if you know what a real '52 Mantle looks like, you'll never fall for a fake. All the examples I've seen have three key diagnostics:

1) The color is wrong...Mantle is far too orange, when he should be more of a ruddy pink or buff.

2) Mantle's signature is too high. On real examples, the bottom loop of the "Y" is nearly touching the inner black border of the star box. This is the same for both types.

3) The team logo is far too good. It resembles the logo for the '53 or '54 series, with clearly defined, "v" shaped red stitches on the baseball, a two tone black bat with a white center, and a crisp, clearly defined "Yankees" script. On AUTHENTIC '52 mantles, the bat is solid black, and the red stitches are weakly defined blotches that resemble a string of pearls. The "Yankees" script is weakly defined, and the a's and e's are practically filled in.