View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default Is the shine off rookie card collecting?

Posted By: nbrazil

speaking only for myself, i decided that a HOF rookie collection was way too difficult, frustrating and, most importantly, expensive to pursue. i started HOF rookie collecting 3 years ago. I found learning about HOF players I have never heard of very interesting. I found researching about first (or early) year player cards to be exciting. But, in the end, i felt it was a fruitless venture because there were several rookie cards i know i would never attain (ruth, e107's). Plus, some rookie cards were simply god awful ugly (foxx's rookie, for instance). And then there were wonderful sets I couldnt even have one card of because there were no HOF rookies in them (n28, for instance). So, with this in mind, I decided to drop my HOF rookie venture last year. I decided to instead keep collecting rookie cards of post war HOF'ers, but pursue the most aesthetically pleasing (in my view) cards of pre war HOF'ers, regardless if the card was issued his first season, in the minors or even posthumously (as i did with ruth and 48 leaf). I just picked up a dan brouthers scrapps card from Barry's recent auction...it's not his rookie card, but i'm very happy with it because it 1.) allows me to pick up a card from a set i would never have looked into and 2.) provides me a card that i find relatively inexpensive and aesthetically pleasing.