View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
This absolutely IS a supply and demand issue. Guys love t206 and guys love Topps. Guys don't love small, unpolished, black and white cards with Spanish on the back. It's not one of the cards they saw in their Beckett Magazines and coveted when they were 12 years old. (Please note that I personally think these cards are awesome)

This isn't an Oscar Charlseston vs Clemente issue at all. This happens with cards of the same player too. Look at Jeff Lichtmann's collection as an example. Jeff just dropped a ton of money on a Cobb-back with a population over 20. Within Jeff's own Cobb collection are cards that I find far more attractive and cool than the Cobb-back. Cards that have unique images that aren't used in any other set. (Compared to the common red Portrait image on the Cobb-back). Jeff has Postcards which also happen to be FAR more rare and attractive than the Cobb-back. Jeff has a D381 Cobb with coupon that is the only one known. Why aren't these worth more than the Cobb-back? They are more rare, more unique, more attractive, AND THE SAME PLAYER!!! The answer is demand.
Good point on the Cobb's. I happen to find these cards AMAZING (and generally believe that most people who have seen one in person concur). I guess that I am partial to photographs, though, and the fact that he is on the famed 1923-24 Santa Clara team makes me love it even more.

The reality is that most people do not know about him, the Santa Clara team and will never know about them, which leads to the ultimate limited demand.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards