View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Deep down, Pete, I know you are right. I guess the magnitude of his one magnificent season, in my heart and mind, carries enough weight to put Roger in Cooperstown. That probably won't happen, which is why I wrote, as I did in my book, that at least Roger is in my own hall of fame. Regardless of whether he is enshrined, I will at least look upon him as a great player and family man. Amazing at it may seem, what soured Roger on playing baseball was not 1961; rather, it was 1962---with all the unreasonable expectations and miserable shellackings Roger got from the New York press. Many fans who carried the torch for the Babe, or Mickey, took great delight in booing and bashing Roger.

A couple other players had one outstanding season, to the extent that arguments could be made in their behalf.... I guess it boils down that it's just too bad that there isn't something to recognize a guy for one glorious season. The two I was thinking of were Colby Jack Coombs of Connie Mack's 1910 A's, and Smoky Joe Wood with the 1912 Red Sox. The chapter in THE GLORY OF THEIR TIMES got me started on Mr. Wood, while the SABR entry on Mr. Coombs left me stunned. Talk about numbers and sheer superiority with these hurlers in their respective seasons. Right there with Big Ed Walsh's 1908 campaign, though Edward had sufficient numbers from other years to elect him back in 1946. Ty Cobb spoke glowingly of Big Ed, just as Walter Johnson claimed nobody was faster than Smoky Joe Wood.

Of course, few players were more modest than ol' Barney The Big Train!

Pete, thank you for dealing with me with dignity and respect. It was probably more than I deserved. Given the fact I've been a strong Roger Maris fan since 1961, a rooter for the underdog just like my dear mother was; well, I suppose I don't want to drop the torch for Roger.

Best regards, bro. ---Brian Powell
No right or wrong here, just opinion, and it certainly makes for good discussion. It's always interesting to think about guys who had these one or two phenomenal seasons relative to the rest of their careers -- Cash, Ron Bryant, Steve Stone come immediately to mind but I am sure there are many others.