View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Niche Set Collecting, an example

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

While there is no doubt in my mind that shorter fences will yield an increase in HRs, I also note that ballpark dimensions providing fence distances under 300' is hardly unprecedented. It is interesting to me to note that the previous year a hit over that fence was counted as a double. And with that rule, Williamson led the league in doubles with 49, which also set the single season record.

Of course the foregoing appears to substantiate your opinion that the home run records established by the 1884 Chicago team should somehow be invalidated, I do not agree that a ballplayer adjusting to his environment should be punished for his capability.

Heck, I remember Wally Moon learning to slice homeruns over the short screen (251 feet) in left field in the Dodgers LA Coliseum. Similarly, Ross Barnes’ ability to slice legal bunts into foul territory to increase this sluggers average, often over .400, should not be invalidated; anymore than the records of spitball hurlers or anyone else who adjusts to the rules and situations of the time.

I realize that not everyone agrees with this viewpoint, much like you recognize that not everyone ascribes to a more statistically leveraged position. I wonder how long baseball will continue to support the less statistically based analysis.

I believe that the decisions in this will be made by the fans. For example, Matt Kilroy appears to quietly have been stripped of his record strikeouts in a season (513) by the likes of Feller, Kofax, Ryan, etc. but really by the fans. Barnes, Moon, Williamson et. al. are just not holders of marks which are important to current fans, so they appear safe. Are there any more records which are in danger of being stripped by current thinking, I wonder.