View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default Niche Set Collecting, an example

Posted By: Dave Rey

Gil --

Sorry took me a few days to answer your query -- my internet connection was down...

I assume you are referring to Ned Wiliamson's HR "record" -- which was a complete travesty, as the rules were changed at the Chicago team's Lake Front Park to allow anything over the 200-foot right field boundary to count as a homer -- when it had in the past and the next year been considered a double.

The 27 home run total was a complete aberration due to the ball park -- that is further proved by the same season totals of Anson, Pfeffer and Dalrymple, who all hit 20+ homers that year, also.

The other teams complained all season about the ball park, which became known for "cheap" hits -- so the effect the park was having on games and stats was even completely evident at that time, not just through later historical examination.

I can't remember the exact total, but I think Williamson hit like all but 5 of his 64 career home runs in his home ball parks.

He was a patient hitter with some pop who was, by most accounts, an excellent defensive player. His exploitation of the Lake Front Park configuration and rules, while smart baseball, give him a bit of historical sheen that he really doesn't deserve, IMHO...