View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Default My final thouhts on the Shoeless Joe thread I started...

First of all, thanks to everybody for the response to my first ever post! It means a lot because I've been a long-time admirer of this board and in my opinion it's the only intelligent place for discourse with the finest minds in the hobby. Here's why I'm now even more sure than before that it's Joe Jackson... First off, I have this entire set as well as other Shoeless Joe cards so it's not like I'm just being hopeful or trying to talk myself into believing it's him. The last few times I've looked closely at this set, every time I've gotten to that card I've instinctively stopped and said "Holy crap, that's Joe Jackson!". In fact, the other cards in this set that other people now think could also be him (Baker Gets His Man or Too Late For Devlin) I disagree with. The players in those pictures just don't look like Joe to me. Trust me though, when you look at this card IN PERSON it looks JUST LIKE HIM!... The picture isn't blurry at all and you get a very good look at his face. Simply put, it passes the eyeball test. I consider myself to have a tremendous knowledge of Cleveland baseball history as they are my all-time favorite team and I've looked at every Shoeless Joe picture from Cleveland so I'm very familiar with his facial features, build, etc. I obviously thought it was him when I first posted this, but since people started showing pictures of him from the SAME year wearing the SAME white ankle wrap on the SAME right ankle that he's wearing in the T202 picture I now think it's a slam-dunk (and nobody's going to convince me otherwise). He stole a lot of bases in his career but he also got thrown out alot which is another reason I think it makes sense that he would be trying to steal 3rd in the first place as well as possibly getting caught. Also, when you look at the 3 photos stacked on top of each other you see that he has the same exact sliding form with his left hand extended way out in all of them. Sure it's all deductive reasoning, but so is the existence of Dinosaurs.

The reason why I think it's taken so long for this to be discovered is (1) His name isn't mentioned on the card and the picture isn't right in your face making it obvious, (2) this set is much more obscure and rare than others of the era, and (3) too many people just see cards as currency now and don't take enough time to closely study and enjoy them.

Here are all the pictures including the entire 1911 Cleveland team with just 2 players wearing a wrap on only their right ankle (and the other guy looks nothing like the guy with the pointy chin and big ears (Joseph Jefferson Jackson) sliding on the T202 card)... Look at all the evidence, it's gotta be him!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (72.6 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg shoeless.jpg (71.8 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg 1911SJJ.jpg (27.5 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg addie-joss-day-panorama-6500.jpg (73.6 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg jacksonsliding.jpg (42.1 KB, 517 views)

Last edited by brett; 05-24-2010 at 08:23 AM.