View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Yes maybe the person who faked this card used this uniform as model.( but I think I have seen this player and that card had pinstripes not 100% but I will follow up) But look close he still did a awful job, clearly got shoes wrong the real card like all the real gold coins is more detailed they have laces. The card from the OP just has a simple stright line. Simplified uniform no shading just a few stright lines. And the hands have no thumbs ( I just looked at 50 Gold coins on REA site and all of them have thumbs) and as I pointed out before the item in his hand that is supposed to be a baseball is not round. Any other gold coins have these characteristics? The 2 unique poses you mention both are the right size and have full gold coin backs. So you are never going to post another real gold coin that shares all the characteristics of this card as a fake by definition it shares a few known characteristics.
If you choose to look past the obvious signs that this is neither a gold coin or a gold coin ad card. Then go right ahead but it is a fake. And I for one dont think it is good for the hobby to encourage fakes.
If a guy at a flea market sells 20 or 30 of these types of fakes each year it becomes worth his while. That one is here on Net54 and more than one person thinks it is real shows clearly why people have been doing this sort of thing for decades. If you can suspend reality and sell a story folks believe what they want to be the truth. But in this case you have to ignore a whole lot of clear facts...Again
Wrong size, wrong back, The drawing itself is inconsistent with all known examples.