View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Kirby Puckett dies

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

What people seem to forget in all of this is the fact that Kirby Puckett was an actual person with friends and loved ones who are devastated and in shock right now. He wasn't just a famous athlete.

Perhaps it's a bit much to label someone as a scumbag based on one act. Maybe it's more appropriate to say that what they did was a scumbaggish act. Maybe it's all semantics.

Some of us heard the news of Puckett's death and thought "Wow, how sad."

Others thought "Sweet, now is the perfect time to sell that autograph!"

Peter asked "What is the gentleman supposed to do, wait until a reasonable mourning period?"
ABSOLUTELY! What is a "reasonable" mourning period? I really don't know, but how about waiting until he's in the ground for starters. We're talking about stuff that was listed on ebay within 24 hours of his death. The justification we were given for one seller was that he needed to pay for medical bills...and buy some S74s for his collection. Whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.

I don't understand why that guy even posted here in the first place unless he felt guilty or knew it wasn't right. No one singled him out specifically.

I didn't know Kirby Puckett, so I have no way to know what was true or false regarding his troublesome post-baseball life. Therefore, I choose to remember the smiling Kirby Puckett, the Kirby Puckett whose glove reached over that garbage bag wall and stole home runs away from visiting batters. That guy was just a flat out winner.

-Ryan