View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Marty

Thanks for all of the kind words! I was always pretty good at math, but wood shop, not so much! I was a little surprised that this turned out as nice as it did - 2 pieces of wood and a miter saw. Been doing my own matting for many years so that's pretty easy.

When I first found the original ad, I was surprised that they sponsored a painting contest using these as well. I have enjoyed these and the Robert Gould figures for many years, and occasionally would find them painted, although most of the painted ones I have or have had were, to be kind, never in contention for winning any prizes! The painted figures in my display I have picked up from the 'Bay in the past several years - there is a seller who sells a small handful every once in a blue moon. I am guessing they have some type of airbrush or are extremely talented, as they look really nice and are very detailed. Lately when they come up, they have been going for much more than I think they are worth, so I am stalled at 11 or 12 of the painted ones, but I have patience. In fact, I'm not sure as a pure collectible if the painted figures really have much value - I think the value is aesthetic as opposed to collectible, kind of like a very nicely custom painted Hartland statue.