View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 10:39 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Funny, I just got something delivered to me last week that went through authentication, and I had to sign for the mailman, or I would have to go to the post office to pick it up and sign for it there. Do they do this differently for different items/people or something else I've never heard of before? I was always under the impression it was one fixed set of rules supposedly covering everything (and everyone) the same.
Bob, I don't believe your shipment was handled any differently than anyone else's by eBay. The variance in experiences is more likely due to inconsistencies in local USPS practices. During the pandemic, most shipping services (like USPS) suspended their policies of making mail carriers obtain signatures on "signature required" packages. This was to limit carriers' exposure to Covid risks and maintain social distancing. Carriers would either sign for the package themselves, or in most cases just drop it off at your door or mail receptacle without it being signed for. It is very likely that not all local post offices have returned to enforcing pre-pandemic practices concerning obtaining signatures. It is also likely that even if they are now supposed to do it, some individual carriers might not make the extra effort. Sounds like you have a quality carrier that plays it by the book.

Last edited by Kaneen; 03-18-2023 at 10:45 PM.