View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Al Richter

Default 1952 Set

I have finished the basic set, 407, plus many of the cards needed for a "master" set, although as you can see from earlier threads in this forum, there are some disagreements about what actually should comprise a master set. I have the first 80 cards in red and black back, the Page and Sain variations, the 3 variant double prints ( Mantle/Robinson/Thompson), 4 different Campos ( black star, partial black star, missing front border and normal), the 2 Houses (yellow tiger), and 14 of the "Canadian" grey backs ( there are 59 or 60). I also have border irregular variants for Snider, Woodling and Scheib. Also a back name misprint for Campenella. Some say there are color variants for Feller and Crandall, but I have never seen what I think are clear differences.

There are several clear front variations in the first 80 cards, but most are tied to the red versus black backs. But there are at 3 noticeably different Boones.

It is an iconic set but loaded with many nobodies since it came out during the height of the Topps/Bowman player contract competition.

The gray backs are harder than the high numbers to complete these days, and as expensive, if not more so.

There are several 1952 collectors hereabouts

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-21-2013 at 08:04 AM.