View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 06:40 PM

The cards with the distinct red lines beneath the signature were obtained by John Laity. Mr. Laity obtained autographs on the New York subway stops for the ballparks in the early 1930s. 1933 Goudey cards that he got signed are easily identifiable as he drew a red line as a way of telling the player where to sign. He also trimmed off the bottom banner on the cards that featured one. I was fortunate enough to buy my first card from the "Laity" collection from Roy Z., who is a member here. That card was Hack Wilson, and I believe Roy still uses the card as his avatar on here. I won it on ebay for around $1100, which at the time was the most I had ever spent on a card (funny how quickly things change). I emailed Roy to see if he happened to have any others and he had a Babe Ruth, which he graciously agreed to sell me. Roy put me in contact with a gentleman named Jim, whom he had purchased the Ruth and Wilson cards from. Jim had another Ruth, Gehrig, Ott, Vaughan, and Dizzy Dean left from the original collection that he had purchased years before from Mr. Laity. Jim wasn't ready to sell when I contacted him, but he kindly reached out to me a year or so later and we agreed on a price. Since then I've been on the lookout for other red line Goudeys, as I'm trying to piece Mr. Laity's collection back together piece by piece.