View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 AM
Mike

Default Oy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
[...]

It's a good challenge trying to find higher grade cards of this set. I also like that all the images of every player seem to be unique to this set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdelpercio View Post
[...]
The interesting player selection (a large percentage of the players, including multiple HOF'ers, appear on very few, if any, other tobacco cards...some on no other contemporary cards at all), the challenge in completing the set, the great player write-ups, and the completely unique look and feel of it make it number one in my opinion. I've never really understood the lack of love for the set. Perhaps the relative lack of top-tier HOF'ers or the drab color scheme are turnoffs for some, but I love the design and, as difficult as a bunch of these are, I'm quite thankful that I didn't have to chase a Cobb, Wagner, Mathewson, etc.

Absolutely agree with both of your points, Ron and Marc, and good to hear from you - figured some of the other more recent set completers would chime in.

Marc, - those of us on love side of '...its love vs hate with this set...' are probably in the minority, but its also number one in my book.

Ron, you probably know this better than anyone, but even finding several of these cards (outisde the ones you have listed) at VG/Ex-Ex is a real challenge, much less better than that ... and those are primarily the Recruit class! The fact that they're also (generally) in the "Anon 3" class is no coincidence, I suspect.

Always fun to see "new-to-the-hobby" cards and quality cards appear, as they do from time-to-time. Keeps things interesting.

--
Mike