View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I agree with what you say about the derby and watching Judge.

It's just worth adding that one could say all collector choices are made on emotion. At least all my purchases are.

In terms of the volatility of modern, well of course when the player is active, especially before there is a long body of work, performance extremes will create price extremes. That's just par for the course with modern.

As someone who only collected PreWar and vintage, I find the thrill of rooting for a live player I collect to be something quite rewarding and fun— and it's a rush that only modern cards can provide. It coexists well with the other collecting pursuits.
Great points! I agree very much with the comment about purchases made on emotion. I can absolutely see how there would be a thrill and excitement at the success of people you collect. For me it was the opposite. It created more of an anxiousness than excitement. I collected Russell Wilson football cards and had quite a bit of cash tied up in those. Football is even much more volatile than baseball IMO with a shorter season and injuries etc. I sold them (and picked up a T206 Magie which I like much better) and so i enjoy watching games more now. I am exclusively prewar and vintage at this point and very content with it.