View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I am beyond thrilled to add this PM-10, courtesy of a Net54 member. I have been searching for this guy for 25 years! With the Giants, and perhaps with other teams, the non-stars can be nearly impossible to find. At any given time, there are usually 10-20 various Willie Mays PM-10s on ebay along with maybe a couple of McCoveys. Marichal and Hart appear occassionally. The other Giants...rarely to never.

I still need Jose Pagan. I've never seen one available and know of two in collections. Billy Pierce? I lost out on the only one I've ever seen. Mike McCormick? Al and Paul left me in the dust of their bidding war.

I get that the Mays pins were sold in much greater quantities than any other player. Still, at 50 cents per pin, I would think certain kids would have amassed the complete set of around 20 players. If they did, those pins seem to have disappeared. Oh well, I guess it makes days like today even sweeter!
Congrats Rob. Great feeling isn't it? I'm always curious why certain pins are so scarce. If I'm looking correctly, Paul did not have the Haller and it was not listed in Becketts Number 2 guide.

Based on the pins in his book, I would speculate Paul purchased the 2 lots of PM10 pins from the Christie's East auction in 1993. This was the Roger Steckler collection which contained a lot of scarce pins. Those 200+ PM10 pins match up well with his book including these particular Giant pins.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown