View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sort of depends on what holder it is in, per the value. A PRO or GAI holder diminishes value (and I realize this was more about PSA and SGC). A few packs in GAI holders might hold value but no cards will, imo. And if the card is in a PRO holder I have learned to walk away, the hard way. Otherwise, I agree that good TPG holders do add some value to most cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
While many like to have cards outside the third-party grader's encapsulated plastic for various reasons like the uniformity or storage together in a binder because majority of their collection/set is not in the holders, if you are looking to long-term value of your collection, the answer is simple. Cracking out from the holder destroys value.

It may well enhance enjoyment, but it destroys value.

For the collector who is concerned with the long-term value (sale-ability) of their cards, the holder provides a 3rd party opinion that helps arbitrate the sale.

I am not talking about the practice of cracking for re-submittal. There are dealers who are serial re-submitters who crack cards out and re-submit in hopes of a higher grade. Many swear by that practice because moving up from an 8 to even an 8.5 in some cases can double the value of a card, and it's like a lottery pick. They pay a small (getting bigger and bigger) fee to try to see if the grade could come back better, with the possibility of a much larger increase in value. That's a different matter than what you describe.

In the end, it depends what your goals are. If it's just enjoyment and uniformity, go for it and crack them out. If you are concerned with you or your loved ones having to sell the cards someday, don't do it.

Tony