Thread: Bryce Harper
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
The NBA stinks, I think the NFL stinks and is boring. Leave baseball alone, why mess with tradition.

This opinion will come as an unpopular one...but as a whole...baseball fandom is very quickly fading away. Both of those leagues mentioned, continue to gain more and more of the share of viewers/supporters/fans. The median age of fans of Major League baseball, continues to increase, and are at an all time high..while the median age of the NFL and NBA fans continue to be stable, and relatively low in comparison.

A lot of us collect, because we love the game of baseball, and the history of the game. But todays generation couldn't care less about baseball. It's actually becoming pretty tough to find many under the age of 20, that even follow the MLB. This isn't an ultimate deciding factor...but, for comparison..25-30 years ago, you could walk into an elementary school and ask a bunch of kids who their favorite MLB player was..and 50 kids would quickly blurt out Mark McGwire, Ken Griffey Jr. Frank Thomas, etc.... But if you were to walk into an elementary school today, and ask the same question..very little, if any of them, could even give you a single name of a MLB player.

MLB, unlike the NBA and NFL has done a horrible job of marketing its individual players, and marquee teams over the past 15+ years. I'm afraid is finally starting to catch up to them, as the popularity of the game, will continue to dwindle. So, I can see why guys like Harper would make comments such as these...as the game needs a MAJOR shot of adrenalin.

Last edited by Filthy; 03-10-2016 at 02:16 PM.