View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Daniel E.

Thumbs up Why a High Res Scan Is Needed...

Here's the story; A bit of further self-introduction necessarily precedes it...

I could use the scan on a project I first started about 2-decades ago, in 1992, while I was intensely researching international boxing cards in general and with emphasis on Jack Dempsey and Ali's issues in particular.

In 2000, I self-published an introduction booklet to this project and brought copies up with me to Canastota's IBHOF annual inductions that year, to its Collector Show. Since then, as life and time allowed, I've been working on a formal version book based on this project to be professionally published upon final completion; a "Muhammad Ali Global Boxing Card Review."

The Review book is something I was encouraged by the Krause back in 1996 to do back--after submitting to them a similar Illustrated Global Review book manuscript completed on Jack Dempsey's cards. Dempsey's work was rejected ("the boxing niche is too small compared to the other main sports for us to consider JD economically"). But in closing Krause offered: "Should you do one like this on Ali instead, he has cross-over appeal and we'd like to see it and certainly be interested." So Dempsey's project was put on a back-burner and I dove body and soul with Ali my primary project ever since.

My Ali Global Review's full chapters are nearly about finished, chapters divided by decades starting with the 1960s; all text intros and each decade's database checklists properly in its place; (most every) checklist card's face and obverse images illustrated--or a placeholder in some cases holding the spot in the finished layout. Right recently I finished the last chapter on the 2010's, and I'm currently starting at the front again proof reading and looking to fill in whatever place-holders needed filling; an almost final stage.

The only quality scan or image I'm lacking in the first chapter's layout for the 1960s is: The Valida variation back of the 1967 Panini #451... then its on to the rest of the chapters.

Myself, I have certain Clay/Ali cards in my collection from discoveries made back in the 1990s during the height of my international research; ones that I believe to my knowledge that others here in the US have never seen. These are being saved for their revealing in the Ali Global Card Review. However, from reading posts here I take it that there are some passionate collectors of Jack Dempsey's issues; just as have always been myself.

If get some needed help in completing my final go-through stage of this Ali project, I will in return be happy to post images of various Dempsey issues that it could be others have not seen or knew about as well. Also, because I am now at a place where I've discovered that my true personal passion is in serving as an 'historian' of global boxing cards rather than needing to own every card out there or that I happen to possess, any cards I post for others to see or should list I will be happy to consider parting with, so long as I have their images and background information secured.

A quick example: I've been reading a lot of buzz over Tyson's '86 Panini now that grading companies are putting them in slabs. England's Evan Jones became my good friend in the early 1990s; I even shared my Collector Show tables at the 1995 IBHOF Inductions with him; his first trip here. We did a lot of trading back then. In a '96 trade I received 5-sets each of 5 different Panini's boxing subset series that Evan had put together for me virgin from packaged wrappers. Yesterday, I pulled the binder I'd stuck these in way back then for the first time since '96 and, yes: there's 5-full sets of the '86 series each with a virgin Tyson that had never been handled except for Evan pulling them from from packs and sending them to me; then into a binder.

The Swede 1920-1930's cards of Dempsey? In 1997, I spent the next 4 years researching the entire region of Sweden-Holland & Denmark. I note I have 3 (2") binders full of that region's early boxing issues. A number of their cards, including Dempsey and other star issues, have never been seen or known of in our US hobby. I will enjoy posting their images soon.

So, that's the long answer for what I need the high res-scan for...
Thanks for taking the interest to ask.