Thread: The 1980's...
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Our local card dealer "Snyders Coin Shop" had a sign on his marquee back in the day "Buying Eric Davis rookies $10".

The interesting thing was back in 87 or so when they were hot, people really only wanted Topps, now looking back Fleer and Donruss were a lot tougher to find.
When I was a weekend warrior in the late 80's and early 90's my partner and I sold a ton of Eric Davis Topps rookies in the $12-15 range, Topps Boggs rookies for about $30 and some others like unopened Donruss as Canseco after his 40/40 season enabled us to get a lot of $ for unopened packs, which we had hundreds of and had paid ten cents each for when they got blown out in discount stores after the season.

Everyone bitches about worthless, overproduced 80's cards today but if you had them at the right time you could do well. We had picked everything up at retail or cheaper as collectors at the time of issue and I remember we knew the runs for the Boggs rookie in '83 so picked up a zillion supermarket tray packs and always hit. All I can say is if you see a Tony Perez peeking thru a clear cello pack in 83 Topps, Wade Boggs will be under it!

Last edited by toppcat; 08-24-2010 at 09:18 PM.