View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Default Questions for Doug Allen

Posted By: whitehse

As a long time collector on a extreme budget, the responses here have made me glad that I can only afford "collector grade" cards such as 5's 6's, 7's and ocassional 8's of post war cards. ( I admire pre war from afar as I dont know enough about them yet to take the plunge....thats why I am here!)

I admire the thoughts shared by Mastro but to be honest if I had the money to bid on these high end cards not only from Mastro but other companies I just dont think I would be doing so. I guess it comes down to personal choice but my feelings are if a card has had a even the slightest wrinkle removed from it that means that card has "issues". A card in a slab, to me, should be free from any issues that would invade the integrity of the card. Removing wax, to me is no issue because thats something on the surface of the card. A wrinke, no matter how insignificant is just that.a wrinkle! I guess I feel when I spend my hard earned money on a card that has met the industry standard of a grade of 8 it should have met that grade without any interferance from anyone trying to maximize the investment or return for their consigners.

I am but a very tiny minnow in a ocean of big fish here but as someone who has to consider his spending choices very wisely, these comments make me happy that I cant afford anything that will maximize profits and minimize (potentially) my return down the road.

Integrity in this industry is sadly something that is not always present. I am in no way pointing fingers at a specific company or individual just the industry in general. I just wish we hd more disclosure so buyers can make informed purchases and be certain that the cards we have bought have achieved their assigned grade without any help!!

Ok I am done......Move along....Nothing to see here!!