Thread: Spahn is gone
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Default Spahn is gone

Posted By: warshawlaw

They simply reflect bad behavior by human beings.

Does a celebrity "owe" you an autograph? Not unless you are paying for a service. If you are paying for a service, however, it is inexcusable for the service to be rendered in a subpar manner. Willie Mays doesn't like people,l doesn't want to cooperate and doesn't like gushing fans? Boo-friggidy-hoo, don't sign the appearance contract and don't pocket the cash. The way these guys conduct themselves at work (shows) shows you who has real class and dignity, who is mature, and who is not. It is very relevant to see how these people treat their customers and a lot of conclusions can be drawn from their behavior as to their personalities. If a guy treats his customers like crap, you can be sure he will treat everyone else that way.

Now, outside the customer arena, should a celebrity be courteous to you? Of course. I don't think it is even debatable that everyone should be courteous to strangers. Beyond that, celebrities including athletes are in the public relations business. You spend money on their sport, movie, etc., because you want to, not because you have to, and part of that very well paying job includes the obligation not to piss off your clientele unnecessarily. Some of it (a lot of it?) also has to do with education and maturity. Many of these athletes are kids with little education and no maturity. They are trained to be spoiled brats and react accordingly.

It also has continually struck me that with the celebrities I meet (and here in LA LA Land I meet quite a few) that the bigger the name, usually the less of a jerk they are to fans.