Thread: GAI E95s
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default GAI E95s

Posted By: brian parker

Since the original poster mention that the top/bottom borders of these do not look like the other caramel cards he owns, I thought I would pitch in a possible reason. One thing to remember is that both the E95 and E96 cards are 1/8" shorter than the rest of the common small caramel issues, such as E90-1, E93, etc. They are 2-5/8" tall, which makes them the same height as the T206 and other tobacco issues. That is why when Lew Lipset auctioned off complete caramel sets last year from the Don McPherson collection, these two sets were the only ones that were not trimmed, as they evidently would fit into the tobacco card sheets Don had (the reason why Don trimmed the other "longer" caramel cards).
Having stated that, I didn't really examine the cards in question too closely, but they seemed ok to me, just some of them not centered.
And by the way, the E90-1 is especially notable for having an unusually large bottom border, which is why so many jokers trim some off--the trimming will not be noticed by those unfamiliar with the set.

Brian