View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 06:28 AM
George

Thanks guys for looking into it. It's too bad that we don't have additional images from that auction or digitized format of some of the more obscure woodcuts in that Chadwick collection.

Bruce, you likely already know this but your 1869 Red Stockings front page woodcut came from the October 2, 1869 NY Clipper. I've seen a handful of instances of the same woodcuts being used in other publications either in the same year or years later. Below is one example that I own. It's the 1860 Brooklyn Excelsiors and is the identical one from what we believe to be the Chadwick collection. This print was depicted on September 4, 1875 in the NY Clipper however it was also used for this much more obscure publication called the NY Sporting Gazette in 1877.

As for your question on the Red Stockings publication, the colored plates appear to be woodcuts that either had some color applied during the printing process (there are people on this forum who could provide details) or they were hand colored after the fact. The latter is less likely as it's much more time consuming. If you see a Leslie's or Harper's woodcut that is colored, it's 100% done after the fact as it was not part of the original printing process. I believe there were several publications who were using chromolithography processes from early on and that's also evident in some of the color plates that you see on some of the 19th century baseball books.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOW1860BaseballNineExcelsiorsFull.jpg (80.7 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by aquarius31; 01-03-2020 at 09:39 PM.