View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Deb Shattuck

Default Articles about Carrie Moyer

There is an excellent (and lengthy) article about Carrie Moyer in the Washington Post on August 6, 1906, p. 6. Title is: “School Girl Pitcher Wins Fame on Diamond,”

Moyer, who was German, pitched in the area around Allentown, PA. She was 17 years old in 1906. Her father was a baker, according to the article. She grew up playing baseball with the neighborhood boys and became a superb pitcher. She was a student at the Kutztown Normal School at some point. (Normal Schools prepared students to become teachers.)

News about Moyer was picked up in papers as far away as Texas and Iowa shortly after the article in the Washington Post. These articles noted that Moyer's brothers played on the teams with her and that she was planning to use the money she was earning playing baseball to study music in New York in the Fall of 2006.

I haven't had a chance to do extensive research on Moyer yet, but I plan to include her story in my upcoming book: [I]Bloomer Girls: Women Baseball Pioneers[I] which will be published by the University of Illinois Press.