View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 07:33 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
Don Lepore, who actually ran the CCC operations for Woody Gelman, invited me to see the operation at the site one time. It was as one would expect, women seated at tables in front of mountains of cards filling orders. After the fire Don conducted business from an office on the main street in the village of Franklin Square, NY.
This is the earliest date I've seen Lepore formally associated with Richard Gelman, December 1978 Trader Speaks ad. That is a New Jersey phone number for him. Richard Gelman lived in Manhattan I believe and had his own successful career. Woody's widow must moved out of the house at some point, which was sold in December of 1979, close to two years after Woody's death, which might explain the office on Hempstead Tpke (also nearer to Franklin Square PO) popping up.

Richard Gelman opened the Greenwich Village Store some time in 1983. As noted here and elsewhere, his inventory was not the same by then. He had blown out a ton of vintage and rare stuff before the move in several amazing ads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lepore.jpg (87.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Nov 83 TTS Card Collectors Co Moves To Manhattan and Opens Store.jpg (80.2 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by toppcat; 08-14-2020 at 07:51 AM.